The latest exhibition at Gloucester Gallery is by a group of six artists entitled ‘Expressions of Interest’, from 8-30 November 2018. The artists are Kay McFarlane-Smith, Debra Ansell, Peter Erson-Smith, Clare Felton, Gwendolin Lewis and Judith Hill.
Opening night Friday 9 November from 6.30 pm with special guest speaker Warren Goodrich, all welcome.
The works in this group exhibition have been influenced primarily by the landscapes around Gloucester. All six artists value the creative exercise of painting in the studio or en plein-air and in each other’s company.
- Kay McFarlane-Smith imparts a beautiful authenticity to her oil paintings which are mostly painted en plein-air.
- Debra Ansell draws and paints in oil. Her consistent theme is pursuing the representation and the perpetuity of the landscape.
- Peter Erson-Smith’s wooden horses are detailed and a perfect replica down to the saddle and horse’s hair.
- Clare Felton looks to the landscape to catch the mood of a scene through layers of paint, often applied with a lot of medium, exploring texture within tonal variations of colour, usually in a limited palette.
- Gwendolin Lewis explores a free mark making in pastels and paint leading us through a bush track to a corner of the landscape, while exploring on the way the beauty of the trees and bush.
- Judith Hill’s paintings in oils help the viewer to see the essence of the bush scene from a close encounter or the colour of the green throughout the landscape.
WHEN: 8-30 November 2018
WHERE: The Gloucester Gallery, 25 Denison Street
OPEN: Free entry, open Mon-Sat 10am-4pm, Sun 10am-1pm.